Why Over 200,000 Members Trust Us… Come Join Us…
If You Use a Firearm Or Any Legal Weapon Under Our Program You Will Receive:
Zealous Legal Representation
If you “use” a firearm or any legal weapon in Texas under the Texas Law Shield Firearms Legal Defense Program, our program attorneys will represent you in any legal proceeding (criminal or civil), for zero additional attorneys’ fees. This includes all criminal charges arising from a “use” of a gun or any legal weapon.
Grand Jury Proceedings
Trial, both Criminal and Civil
24/7/365 Attorney Answered Emergency Hotline
The 24/7/365 firearms emergency hotline is always answered by an attorney who is a member of the Texas Law Shield Firearms Program. It is available exclusively to our Members – when you call, you are talking to your firearms program attorneys.
Member ID Card with Emergency Hotline Number.
What you tell your firearms program attorney is fully confidential.
Non-Emergency Access to Your Firearms Program Attorneys
If you have a firearms legal question, call us, we are here to help.
What’s Not Covered
While our services are quite comprehensive, the following are not covered: expert witness fees, governmental fees of any type, investigator fees, or bail bonds. However, members have the option to enroll in the Bail Bond/Expert Witness program.
Optional Member Coverage
Minor Children Firearms Legal Protection
Under any plan, our Members may elect to add their minor children for a small fee.
Minor children of the Member parent(s) shall be entitled to the same legal services and benefits in the event the minor child has any covered incident.
Minor children are subject to the same limitations and exclusions as their parent(s).
Multi-State Firearms Legal Protection
The Texas Law Shield Firearms Legal Defense Program provides legal defense for Texas members anywhere in Texas where they can legally possess a firearm or any other legal weapon, if they are forced to use a gun or any other legal weapon.
For our members who travel outside of Texas with a firearm, Texas Law Shield Firearms Program offers a multi-state option. Through our network of lawyers and law firms our Texas Law Shield members receive the same legal benefits under the program as they enjoy in Texas. This includes criminal as well as civil legal defense. The covered states under the multi-state option are the following: all 50 states plus Washington D.C.
If our member uses a firearm outside of the Great State of Texas in a covered state, they simply call the emergency hotline number on their member card.
All covered states are included for one additional low price, per Member.
As new states are added, you are automatically covered in those states for no additional fees.
Bail Bond & Expert Witness Coverage
- Bail Bond fee protection for bail up to $25,000
- Expert Witness fee protection
Additional Benefits Available To All Members
As a Member of Texas Law Shield, you are not only ensured of legal representation should you have a “use” of a firearm or other lawful weapon, you will also receive many member benefits including the following:
- After Bang Emergency Plan in a confidential repository with a Texas Law Shield Firearms Program attorney in case of emergency.
- Access to your attorneys for legal non-emergency firearms questions, call us we are here to help.
- Discounts and offers from Firearm Ranges/Stores available through our member perks program.
- Full access to our exclusive member publications full of information on current firearms laws, regulations, including the castle doctrine, stand your ground and other legal topics.
- Our monthly newsletter.
- Full access to our exclusive legal education video library, inside your member portal.
- Access to our Attorney/Member Forum.
- Discounts to our Seminars and Workshops.
Texas Law Shield Membership Cost
Do I Have To Shoot To Be Covered?
No. Our program covers you if you “use” a firearm as a weapon. Our members are covered under the Texas Law Shield Firearms Program any time our member displays a firearm for the purpose of using the firearm as a weapon to stop a threat, whether the member has to pull the trigger and discharge the firearm or not.
Examples That Are Not A “Use” Of A Gun Or Other Lawful Weapon
Taking a Gun Into A Prohibited Place
If you take a gun into a prohibited place (i.e. airport secured area, sporting event, bar, etc.) this act is not a “use” of a firearm and is not covered under the program.
Accidental Discharges or Other Accidents
Our programs are designed to protect you in “use of force” scenarios. An accidental discharge is not a “use” and is not covered under the program (i.e. cleaning a gun and it discharges, hunting accidents, etc.).
Am I covered under the program if I use a shotgun/rifle instead of a handgun?
Yes. Our program covers the “use” of all legal firearms and other lawful weapons.
If I call the emergency hotline, will I actually be speaking to an attorney?
Yes. The hotline is always answered by an attorney, not a receptionist or answering service. You get immediate communications with a firearms program lawyer.
Does the program defend me if I get caught carrying a gun somewhere the law says I shouldn’t?
No. Our program provides legal defense for your “use” of a firearm anywhere in Texas where you can legally be in possession of a firearm.
Do I get legal protection outside of Texas?
Only if you are a member of our multi-state option and use a gun or other lawful weapon in a listed covered state under the program.
If there is a mistrial or the case has to be retried, is that covered?
Yes. Our program provides you representation which includes both civil and criminal trials and any retrials that may be necessary.
Is there a limit on the amount of hours for defense under this program?
No. Our program attorneys do not and will not put a limit on the number of hours devoted to your defense. Your firearms program attorney is there from the beginning until the very end, no matter how long it may take. As a member, you deserve no less.
Since the program is so inexpensive, will I receive less service than other clients of the program attorneys?
Absolutely not. The program’s lawyers have a responsibility and ethical duty to represent clients zealously, fully, and to the best of their abilities, regardless of fees charged.
Does this program provide bond if I am charged with a crime for the use of a gun?
Only if the Member has selected and paid for the bail bond / expert witness program additional legal services contract coverage.
Can I cancel at any time?
As a member, you have the right to cancel your membership at any time and we will gladly refund your unused membership amount.
I am or will be taking the CHL class. Can I sign up for the CHL program now?
If I have adult children at home, will they need their own membership?
Yes. All adults who wish to have this service need their own program and member ID card.
Does the program cover a spouse/partner as well?
Yes, if they are also a member in good standing.
If I have a CHL, can I just sign up for the Non-CHL program?
Why is the CHL program more expensive than the Non-CHL program?
The CHL Program is a bit more expensive because, in addition to being covered in any place where a Non-CHL holder may legally have a gun, you are also covered in all the other places you can legally possess a gun as a CHL holder.
Is Texas Law Shield a law firm?
No. Texas Law Shield, LLP is a licensed legal services company that maintains a firearms legal defense program. This program provides attorneys throughout the state who are experienced in handling cases involving firearms and firearms law. Texas Law Shield evaluates these attorneys to ensure that they are just as passionate about our Second Amendment rights as the people here at Texas Law Shield.
Is this insurance?
In Texas, the Firearms Legal Defense Program is operated as a licensed legal services company dedicated to preserving all of our 2nd Amendment Rights. In other states the program is administered through the appropriate agencies of that state.
Meet The Team
Texas Law Shield, LLP program attorneys have extensive civil and criminal trial experience as well as the pleasure of representing thousands of legal gun owners, including civilian, law enforcement, security and military personnel. In addition, Texas Law Shield is honored to serve numerous civilian shooting ranges, firearms instructors, firearms publications, and federal firearms licensed dealers. Texas Law Shield, LLP’s passion is to support all aspects of legal firearms ownership in our great and unique country.
Texas Law Shield Executive Team
KIRK EVANS – PRESIDENT
Kirk is a graduate with honors from Texas A&M University and attended law school at the University of Houston where he graduated as editor of the Law Review. He was admitted to the Texas Bar in 1993.
Kirk possesses extensive trial experience in courtrooms all over the Great State of Texas including Houston, Dallas, San Antonio, Austin, Midland and communities in between.
Kirk, prior to joining Texas Law Shield, concentrated most of his work on litigation including constitutional issues and complex civil litigation. He is an ardent supporter of each of our rights to keep and bear arms and is a proud gun owner.
Kirk is a frequent speaker on civil liability associated with gun ownership and has been a presenter at events across the state including the FBI Dallas CAAA Active Shooter Seminar, the national NRA Foundation Banquet and multiple civic and community organizations.
Kirk has also authored a number of firearms legal publications on topics such as “Tribal Law and Your Firearms.” In addition, Kirk has served as a media source for firearms law, including appearances on KSAT television in San Antonio and a national interview with Yahoo Sports.
Kirk has also appeared on the Mike Rosen show on 850 KOA in Denver, provided an interview with Ben Ferguson on 820 WBAP in Dallas, and spoken at a live broadcast by Lee Matthews on 1000 KTOK in Oklahoma City.
Kirk was recognized as a “Rising Star” in the legal profession by the publisher of Texas Super Lawyers.
His email address is email@example.com
JOHANNA EDMONDS – VICE PRESIDENT OF OPERATIONS
Johanna is an ardent supporter of 2nd Amendment rights and is a life long firearms enthusiast. She brings a wealth of experience in operations, business structure, and customer service. In addition to her management experience, she brings valuable experience in office administration and information technology. Johanna continues to oversee our growth and infrastructure transition. She is here to help our members.
She supervises the administrative structure and has helped with the company’s technology development and growth. She works with the marketing and sales team on developing new ideas for member growth and a team focused on the development of educating our members on firearms issues. She is a life long firearms rights advocate and proud gun owner.
Her e-mail is firstname.lastname@example.org
DAVID DONCHECZ – VICE PRESIDENT OF MEMBER SERVICES
David is a Texas Law Shield Member and is dedicated to providing our members with the excellent quality of service they deserve. David is a believer that the Member’s time and concerns do matter.
Prior to working for Texas Law Shield, David was President of Gulf Coast Powerboats for twenty years and COO of Sunsation Powerboats, a marine manufacturing company, dealing with customers/clients all over the world. Throughout his career he has made customer service his number one priority.
If you need anything, do not hesitate, get a hold of David!
His email address is email@example.com
Darren graduated from the University of Texas School of Law in 1992. He is a life member of the National Rifle Association, a federal firearms licensed dealer, a class III tax stamp holder and a collector of firearms.
His email address is firstname.lastname@example.org
SHAUN DOTSON – DIRECTOR OF MEMBER SERVICES
As Director of Customer Service for Texas Law Shield, Shaun Dotson is responsible for the company’s customer service quality and strategy, as well as overseeing the day-to-day operations of the Customer Service Center. He joined the Texas Law Shield customer service team in March 2013.
Shaun brings more than 10 years of customer service experience to Texas Law Shield. He began his career in telecommunications as a customer service representative for the former PrimeCo wireless telecommunication company. He has been involved in a broad range of customer service functions in management positions of increasing responsibility, including customer loyalty and quality assurance, call centers for financial markets, mergers and acquisitions, force management, and call center technologies.
He also served as a customer service manager with American Express work-at-home agents. Prior to his current role, Shaun served as creative director for Uniserv Technology in Hilo, Hawaii.
His email address is email@example.com
P. J. HERMOSA – NATIONAL SALES DIRECTOR
P.J. has been with Texas Law Shield Firearms Defense Program since the early beginnings. He has worked his way up from a part time Member Services Representative to the position as National Sales Director. P.J. brings unparalleled enthusiasm for members and our cause of offering piece of mind to all gun owners.
He was born and raised in San Antonio, Texas. At an early age he started his career in the industrial sales industry, where he worked his way into sales management. Always having an entrepreneurial spirit he decided to bring his talents in sales management and business development to small business in his home town. He is a proud father and avid supporter of all of our 2nd Amendment Rights.
His email address is firstname.lastname@example.org
Meet Our Program Attorneys
Houston – Walker & Byington, PLLC
T. EDWIN WALKER
Edwin is a native Texan who earned his bachelor and law degrees at the University of Houston. He has been practicing law in the State of Texas since 1993 with an emphasis on criminal defense.
Edwin is a member of the State Bar of Texas, Texas Criminal Defense Lawyer’s Association and the Harris County Defense Lawyers Association.
Edwin is a frequent speaker on the use of force and has presented the law in front of thousands of individuals from venues as small as local Rotary clubs and as large as legal seminars.
Edwin has also made several appearances on state and national radio and news shows to share his knowledge of the law. He is a proud gun owner.
His email address is email@example.com
Michele Byington received her J.D. from South Texas College of Law in 2010 where she competed on the nationally recognized advocacy program. She was admitted to the Texas Bar in 2010. Prior to law school, she received her B.A. in Political Science from Texas A&M University and was a member of Pi Sigma Alpha Honors Fraternity.
Michele has extensive knowledge of the National Firearms Act and the processes of the BATFE. She has assisted and advised in hundreds of successful NFA Item transfers.
She has published articles on the Texas Castle Doctrine, Stand Your Ground Laws, and other “use of force” laws and justifications. Michele frequently speaks around the State of Texas on topics like: “Where You Can and Cannot Take a Firearm,” “When the Law Allows For the Use of Force and Deadly Force,” “The Castle Doctrine and Stand Your Ground Issues,” “The Law of Suppressors, Short Barreled Firearms, and Full Auto,” and numerous other firearms related matters.
Michele has represented dozens of clients all over Texas in incidents involving firearms. She is a gun owner and works tirelessly to uphold the 2nd Amendment.
Her email address is firstname.lastname@example.org
Richard Carter graduated from the Texas Tech University School of Law, in addition to having taken special courses at the FBI Academy, and attending the National Judicial College.
He has been practicing for 40 years, and his list of accomplishments include having been the Executive Director and General Counsel for Crime Stoppers International, receiving a “Certificate of Special Congressional Recognition” for his work in crime prevention, and the “President’s Award” by Crime Stoppers International in 1988 and 2007.
He has been on all sides of the court room, acting as a criminal defense attorney, a county attorney, a police advisor and a judge.
His email address is email@example.com
Gordon Cooper received his J.D. from the University of Houston Law Center in 2012. Prior to law school, he received his B.S. in Psychology from the University of Houston; he did so as the youngest graduate on record, graduating at 18 years old, having started college at 13 years old. Prior to joining the firm, while attending law school, he worked as a full-time negotiator.
Gordon’s work with U.S. Law Shield has involved work on both criminal and civil cases, with experience in the trial setting. He has also researched the firearms and use of force laws across multiple states, including Florida, Texas, Colorado, Pennsylvania, Georgia, and Oklahoma. A frequent speaker at seminars and the author of many different newsletters, with topics ranging from the Use of Deadly Force to NFA item ownership, he is above all else a proud gun owner and tireless supporter of our constitutional rights to bear arms.
His email address is firstname.lastname@example.org
603 E. Belknap Street
Fort Worth, TX 76102
Justin Sparks was born in Houston, Texas. Before high school he and his family moved to Weimar, Texas where Justin graduated from Weimar High School. He then attended Baylor University where he double majored in Economics and Real Estate and graduated in 2004 with a Bachelor of Business Administration. After graduating from Baylor, Justin attended Texas A&M University School of Law where he received his Juris Doctorate in 2007.
The year following law school, Justin worked for a local Oil & Gas company handling legal issues with regard to drilling and drill sites. Justin was then hired by the Tarrant County District Attorney’s Office as an Assistant District Attorney where he was responsible for grand jury investigations, plea negotiations, hearings, trials before the court, and jury trials. In his time there, Justin handled over one thousand DWI cases and tried more than one hundred DWI cases before juries. After two years with the DA’s office Justin was hired as an associate by Kearney | Wynn. Justin was named to the Top Attorneys in Fort Worth by Fort Worth Magazine – 2010, 2011, 2012
Areas of Practice:
Grand Jury Investigations
All Criminal Prosecutions & Investigations
100% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
U.S. District Court Northern District of Texas, 2009
Texas A&M School of Law, Fort Worth, Texas, 2007
Baylor University, Waco, Texas, USA, 2004
Major: Economics & Real Estate
Professional Associations and Memberships:
Eldon B. Mahon Inn of Court
Texas Criminal Defense Lawyers Association
Past Employment Positions:
Tarrant County District Attorney’s Office, Assistant District Attorney, 2008 – 2009
Killeen & Surrounding Areas
KURT W. GLASS
The Law Office of Kurt W. Glass & Partners
2608 N. Main Street, Ste. B-135
Belton, Texas 76513
Mr. Glass enlisted in the US Army in 1986 as an infantryman. While stationed with the 25th Infantry Division in Hawaii he served as a Scout Observer/Sniper. After a four year assignment in Hawaii Mr. Glass transferred over to Military Intelligence in 1992. He was then reassigned to attend the Russian language course in Monterey, California.
Between 1992 and 1995 Mr. Glass was stationed here at Fort Hood with the 303rd Military Intelligence Battalion. While at Fort Hood he was selected as the 504th Military Intelligence Brigade Non-Commissioned Officer of the year and attended the Andre Sakharov Language Institute.
Mr. Glass attended the Serbo-Croatian language course in Washington DC and after living in the Balkans for over two years was assigned to the United States Army Office of Military Support.
His best friend, Sam Slemp also a retired soldier, died before realizing his dream of attending law school. Sam spoke frequently about going to law school and when he died Kurt made a promise that he would go instead.
Mr. Glass retired from the US Army in 2006 after 20 years and 16 days of active duty. In August of 2006, after having been retired for 18 days, he was seated in the first class of law school at Texas Tech. Kurt and his wife, Dawn, found staying in Lubbock was difficult because of the city distance from any military community. They wanted to return to a community and a return to a mindset that both understood and appreciated, so after graduating law school they relocated to Fort Hood to begin.
LARRY DEAN BLOOMQUIST
Attorney Larry Dean Bloomquist is a Board Certified Criminal Defense attorney, who has over ten years of experience. Mr. Bloomquist is a former Assistant District Attorney and prosecutor. He was nationally recognized by the National Association of Prosecuting Coordinators for work involving intoxicated drivers. He has tried over one hundred jury trials, including many high-profile murders, sex crimes, and gang related crimes.
Born in Denver, Colorado he grew up in Wyoming. He obtained a Bachelor of Science Degree from Westminster College of Salt Lake City, Utah. He was commissioned as an officer in the United States Army. Rising to the rank of Captain, he served during Humanitarian and Peacekeeping Missions in Bosnia, Croatia, Hungary, and Cuba. He also served in Korea, Italy, Virginia, and Colorado.
After leaving the Army Mr. Bloomquist attended the University Of Wyoming College Of Law, in Laramie Wyoming. He won trial and appellate trial competitions and went on to represent the University at regional competitions. During law school he worked in the legal services clinic and has a law clerk with law firms and government agencies, representing people. He was inducted into the national “Order of The Barristers” for outstanding courtroom advocacy. He attained his Juris Doctorate degree.
After passing the Texas bar examination and becoming a licensed attorney Mr. Bloomquist went to work at the Law Offices of Gary Green in Austin, Texas representing Texans in civil matters. He then became a prosecutor. Mr. Bloomquist has served as an Assistant District Attorney for Caldwell County in Lockhart, Texas, an Assistant County Attorney for Guadalupe County in Seguin, Texas, as an Assistant District Attorney for Hays County in San Marcos, Texas as well as the 1st Assistant District Attorney for Guadalupe, Gonzales and Lavaca Counties.
Mr. Bloomquist quickly built a reputation as a tough no nonsense trial attorney. He tried multiple high profile child murder and sexual assaults, and gang related cases and became a sought after speaker on these issues. He has done extensive work on cases involving intoxicated drivers and was nationally recognized as an “Outstanding Traffic Safety Prosecutor” for that work. He has broad experience handling all types of criminal cases.
In 2011 The Law Office of Larry Dean Bloomquist was founded in San Antonio, Texas with the goal of providing the best defense to ordinary people charged with serious crimes.
- Board Certified in Criminal Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization – 2008
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Member, State Bar of Texas
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member San Antonio Bar Association
- Member Texas Criminal Defense Lawyers Association
Honors and Awards
- National Order of the Barristers – 2002
- Named an “Outstanding Traffic Safety Prosecutor” by National Association of Prosecutor Coordinators, 2006
- Meritorious Service Medal – 1999
- Army Commendation Medal, 4 Awards
- Army Achievement Medal, 3 Awards
- Humanitarian Service Medal
- “Child Death and Sex Crimes Investigations and Prosecution” Guadalupe County Children’s Advocacy Center Annual Training- 2011
- “Criminal Prosecutions” Seguin Police Department Citizens’ Police Academy -2011
- “Review of Gang Prosecution” Seguin Police Department – 2010
- “Child Sexual Assault Investigations & Prosecutions” New Braunfels Police Department – 2009
- “Search and Seizure” Guadalupe County’s Attorney’s Office – 2006
- “DWI Case Prosecution” Guadalupe County’s Attorney’s Office – 2006
- “Family Violence Prosecution” Guadalupe County’s Attorney’s Office – 2006
- “Total refusal DWI case on your docket?” The Texas Prosecutor, Volume 36, Number 5, September-October 2006.
Dallas/Fort Worth – North Texas
Wes Ball, Attorney
Ball & Hase
4025 Woodland Park Blvd., Suite 100
Arlington, TX 76013
Don Hase, Attorney
Ball & Hase
4025 Woodland Park Blvd., Suite 100
Arlington, TX 76013
Bruce A. Martin, Attorney
705 8th St., Suite 600
Wichita Falls, TX 76301
Sterling E. Newcomb, Attorney
2507 Washington St
Greenville, TX 75403
Victor A. (“Vic”) Rivera, Attorney
121 N. Woodrow Lane, Suite 205
Denton, TX 76205
John Hunter Smith, Attorney
707 W. Washington St.
Sherman, TX 75092
Joe Weis, Attorney
2507 Washington St.
Greenville, TX 75403
C.H. “Hal” Brockett, Jr.
24 Smith Road, Suite 400
Midland, TX 79705
Jim Darnell, Attorney
310 N. Mesa St., Suite 212
El Paso, TX 79901
Benjamin P. Garcia, Attorney
Travis Ware & Associates
Lubbock, TX 79401-3017
Travis Ware, Attorney
Travis Ware & Associates
Lubbock, TX 79401-3017
Diane Hathaway, Attorney
600 S. Tyler, #2005
Amarillo, TX 79101
[P.O. Box 15385, Amarillo, TX 79105]
W. Shaun Galovich, Attorney
Wagstaff, Alvis, Stubberman, Seamster & Longacre
Abilene, TX 79601
Matt Martindale, Attorney
114 W. Kingsmill Ave.
Pampa, TX 79065
William W. Johnston, Attorney
400 Austin Avenue, Suite 104
Waco, TX 76710
Richard F. Gutierrez, Attorney
113 E Losoya St.
Del Rio, TX 78840-5855
Richard W. (“Rick”) Rogers III, Attorney
710 Buffalo St., Suite 202
Corpus Christi, TX 78401-1934
Gregory E. Turley, Attorney
504 E. Dove Ave., Suite B
McAllen, TX 78504
Tim James, Attorney
115 South St.
Nacogdoches, TX 75961
Michael R. Lusk, Attorney
P. O. Box 6102
Texarkana, Texas 75505-6102
Jim James, Attorney
James & Reynolds
1716 Briarcrest Dr., Suite 505
Bryan, TX 77802
[P O Box 1146, Bryan, TX 77806-1146]
The Texas Law Shield Firearms Legal Defense Program by Texas Law Shield, LLP, A Legal Services Company is dedicated to preserving 2nd Amendment rights for all legal gun owners in Texas and ensuring legal representation for our members who ever have to use a firearm or any lawful weapon. In addition, a cornerstone of our program is education in the area of firearms law. An informed citizenry is essential to preserve our country’s rich heritage and all of our rights. Our legal services company is organized under Texas Occupations Code 953 and is proudly based in Texas. U.S. Law Shield Firearms Program is the sister program to Texas Law Shield and is available currently in Florida, Oklahoma, Colorado, Pennsylvania, Missouri, Georgia, Virginia, New Jersey, Ohio, Arkansas, Kansas and North Carolina. Our firearms program was founded by lawyers and dedicated to preserving the legal rights of our members when they use a firearm.
Texas Law Shield also completely underwrites program attorneys to speak on law at civic organizations such as Rotary clubs, gun clubs, church or worship groups, firearm enthusiast gatherings and other venues to educate members and non-members alike on the laws pertaining to firearms, the legal process and using deadly force in self-defense. Additionally, Texas Law Shield is proud to have sponsored many events, such as the NRA Foundation Dinner, Texas Multi-Gun Championship, Diva Woman Outdoors Worldwide and A Girl and a Gun, among others.
Currently, Texas Law Shield has upwards of 200,000 legal gun owners as members, including civilians, law enforcement and military personnel. In addition, Texas Law Shield is honored to serve numerous civilian firing ranges, firearms instructors, firearms publications and federal firearms licensed dealers. Texas Law Shield has become one of the largest civilian repositories of firearms legal defense information available in Texas and has expanded its coverage to include any legal weapon.
Texas Law Shield’s passion is to support all aspects of legal firearms ownership in our great and unique country regardless of any politics or party affiliations. Between our program attorneys and our scores of independent attorneys assisting in the firearms program, we provide legal protection anywhere our members are covered.
As a Member of Texas Law Shield you are entitled to offers and discounts at gun stores, shooting ranges, and Texas Law Shield affiliated businesses all over the Great State of Texas. On our Member Perks page, you will find special offers and discounts on the following:
- CHL classes
- Gunsmithing services
- Tactical training classes
- Range time
- Much, much more!
To find discounts near you, view the complete list of Member Perks.
Visit the Member Perks page!
The following is the terms of your membership and the legal services contract that establishes your rights under the program.
TEXAS LAW SHIELD, LLP LEGAL SERVICE CONTRACT
- “Independent Contracting Attorney” — An independent, third-party, licensed attorney that Texas Law Shield, LLP contracts with to provide legal services for the Legal Service Contract Holder under this Legal Service Contract. This definition shall apply throughout the entirety of this agreement. Any references herein to Contracting Attorney, Independent Contracting Attorney, attorney, program attorney, legal services, legal defense, and other similar terms shall refer to an independent, third-party, licensed attorney that Texas Law Shield, LLP contracts with to provide legal services for the Legal Service Contract Holder.
- “Use of a Firearm” or “Other Lawful Weapon” — Any incident where the Legal Service Contract Holder either discharges or displays a firearm (or uses any other lawful weapon at their disposal) for the purpose of using the firearm or other lawful weapon to stop a threat, whether the Legal Service Contract Holder pulls the trigger and discharges the firearm or not, or otherwise actually uses the other lawful weapon or not. This term does not include taking a firearm or other weapon to a location that is prohibited by federal, state, or local law, negligent or unintended discharges, or negligent or unintended displays of a firearm or other weapon.
- “Legal Service Contract” — The present agreement entered into between Legal Service Contract Holder and Texas Law Shield, LLP for consideration and under which Texas Law Shield, LLP will obtain legal services for the Legal Service Contract Holder through an Independent Contracting Attorney.
- “Legal Service Contract Holder” — Person who purchased the Texas Law Shield, LLP Legal Service Contract.
- This Legal Service Contract is administered by Texas Law Shield, LLP who shall provide Legal Service Contract Holders with an Independent Contracting Attorney for any incident covered by this Legal Service Contract. Texas Law Shield, LLP shall offer the Legal Service Contract in the State of Texas. The Independent Contracting Attorney shall perform the legal services described herein.
- The person purchasing this contract is the Legal Service Contract Holder and shall benefit from the legal services provided by Texas Law Shield, LLP. The benefits provided under this Legal Service Contract shall be available to the Legal Service Contract Holder whose payments are current.
- __________________________ is the sales representative who sold or solicited this Legal Service Contract on behalf of Texas Law Shield, LLP.
- ELIGIBILITY & EFFECTIVE DATEThe legal services described herein shall be available to the Legal Service Contract Holder who enrolls and pays the appropriate fee under the Legal Service Contract. The effective date of the legal services is the day of signup where the first payment is made by the Legal Service Contract Holder. The term of this agreement is 12 months from effective date. The term of this contract shall automatically be extended for 12 months on the anniversary of the effective date, unless the contract is lawfully terminated pursuant to the terms of this agreement.
The legal services described herein shall be available to the Legal Service Contract Holder’s dependents if Legal Service Contract Holder tenders separate consideration to include protection to their minor children. Effective date of the legal services for dependents is the day of signup where the first payment is made by the Legal Service Contract Holder.
- LEGAL SERVICES & BENEFITSThe consideration provided by the Legal Service Contract Holder entitles them to the following legal services by an Independent Contracting Attorney and these services may be utilized by calling Texas Law Shield, LLP on the business telephone numbers provided on membership cards, or, in case of emergency the 24/7 emergency hotline telephone number provided to each Legal Service Contract Holder.
- Legal representation is provided by an independent contracting attorney in any criminal or civil proceeding arising from an incident involving the Legal Service Contract Holder, in good standing, who has a “Use of a Firearm or Other Lawful Weapon” as defined above, if the Legal Service Contract Holder is in a place within the State of Texas where the Legal Service Contract Holder is legally permitted to possess his or her firearm or other lawful weapon. Coverage for independent legal representation for these matters shall extend to and include a trial (including retrials) on the merits in a court or tribunal of competent jurisdiction, and a direct appeal of any final judgment to the court with appellate jurisdiction over such appeal and a further appeal to the highest court of appeals in such jurisdiction. This agreement shall not provide coverage for an appeal that is frivolous and in bad faith or solely for the purposes of delay or harassment. This agreement provides no benefit for any incident that took place prior to the effective date of this Legal Services Contract or after its termination.
- An emergency hotline is maintained and answered 24 hours a day for any Legal Service Contract Holder.
- Upon request, an Independent Contracting Attorney is provided for legal advice regarding the use and carrying of firearms.
- If the Legal Service Contract Holder tenders separate consideration for Multi-State Protection provided by Texas Law Shield, the Legal Service Contract Holder shall be entitled to the same legal services and benefits as described herein for all 50 states and the District of Columbia. Multi-State Protection applies to all legal services and benefits described herein, with the exception of the Bail Bond/Expert Witness Program outside of Texas, and is subject to the limitations and exclusions provided herein.
- If the Legal Service Contract Holder tenders separate consideration to include protection for minor children, Legal Service Contract Holder shall be entitled to legal services and benefits described herein for his or her minor children in the event the minor child has a “Use of a Firearm or Other Lawful Weapon.” Minor children are subject to the same limitations and exclusions provided herein.
- If the Legal Service Contract Holder tenders separate consideration for the Expert Witness program and/or the Bail program, as additional legal services, Legal Service Contract Holder shall pay no additional fee to the program attorneys for additional services including, as applicable to the particular program: an expert witness; and/or depositions, and/or program attorney offered bail bond services, with bail up to $25,000.00 ($2,500.00 bond fee). With respect to the Bail program, Members shall be responsible for all other requirements to obtain such a bond from a licensed bondsman, including collateral, guarantors, overages etc. The Bail program is not an offer for Texas Law Shield or the program attorney to act as surety for the Member and Member agrees that this is not a surety agreement. With respect to the Expert Witness program, if the program attorney determines a necessity for an expert witness, Legal Service Contract Holder shall be provided with an expert who has agreed to Texas Law Shield’s standard terms of engagement in the area of reasonableness and justification of the use of force or deadly force under the law. Legal Service Contract Holder may at all times employ any other expert witnesses, different than any provided under this contract, however, Legal Service Contract Holder shall be responsible for all fees, costs and expenses of any different expert witnesses and shall receive no reimbursement under this contract.
- The Legal Service Contract Holder will also receive:
- Periodic updates on topics affecting gun owners;
- Educational material concerning gun ownership, gun rights and the law; and
- A membership card with a unique member number and emergency hotline.
- DEDUCTIBLES OR COPAYMENTSThere are no deductibles or copayments under this Legal Service Contract.
- LIMITATIONS & EXCLUSIONS
- In order for Legal Service Contract Holder to receive the benefits described in this Legal Services Contract, at the time of a use of a firearm or other lawful weapon incident occurs, the Legal Service Contract Holder must be in legal possession of a firearm or in legal possession of the other lawful weapon, and at the time of the use of a firearm or other lawful weapon the Legal Service Contract Holder must be in a location where Legal Services Contract Holder could legally possess a firearm or the other lawful weapon.
- Neither Texas Law Shield LLP, nor any of Texas Law Shield LLP’s Independent Contracting Attorneys will have an obligation under this contract to provide coverage to defend a Legal Service Contract Holder if at the time the Legal Service Contract Holder uses his or her firearm or other lawful weapon, the Legal Service Contract Holder was not in lawful possession of the firearm or other lawful weapon, or was in a location, without legal justification, where possession of a firearm or other lawful weapon is illegal under state, federal, or local law.
- This Legal Service Contract specifically excludes legal representation in any criminal or civil actions for conduct that is not directly and specifically related to the Legal Contract Holder’s use of a firearm or other lawful weapon for which justification is available as a defense.
- This Legal Service Contract specifically excludes legal representation for the Legal Service Contract Holder’s use of a firearm or other lawful weapon, if at the time of the use of the firearm or other lawful weapon; Legal Service Contract Holder was in the commission of any crime for which justification under state law is inapplicable.
- Family Violence Exclusion. This Legal Service Contract specifically excludes providing legal representation from an Independent Contracting Attorney for any incident, criminal investigation or prosecution arising from the use of a firearm or other lawful weapon by the Legal Service Contract Holder against the Legal Service Contract Holder’s current or former family member, household or dating relationship as defined in Chapter 71 of the Texas Family Code or applicable state law.
- TRANSFERABILITY & REIMBURSEMENTThe Legal Service Contract is not transferable and the benefits contained herein are not assignable and shall provide no amount of reimbursement of costs, fees or expenses not specifically covered by this contract.
- CANCELLATION OF CONTRACT & REINSTATEMENT
- A Legal Service Contract Holder may terminate the Legal Service Contract by providing Texas Law Shield, LLP with written notice of the Legal Service Contract Holder’s intent to terminate the contract not later than the seventh day after the date the Legal Service Contract Holder receives the contract.
- If the Legal Service Contract is terminated by the Legal Service Contract Holder in accordance with Section A above and the Legal Service Contract Holder has not sought legal services under the contract before termination, the Legal Service Contract is void and Texas Law Shield, LLP shall refund the Legal Service Contract Holder or credit the Legal Service Contract Holder’s account the full purchase price of the contract.
- Texas Law Shield, LLP may cancel a Legal Service Contract by mailing a written notice of cancellation to the Legal Service Contract Holder to the last known address according to the records of Texas Law Shield, LLP. Texas Law Shield LLP must mail notice before the fifth day preceding the effective date of the cancellation. The notice must state the effective date of the cancellation and the reason for cancellation.
- Texas Law Shield, LLP is not required to provide prior notice of cancellation if the Legal Service Contract is cancelled because of:
- A material misrepresentation by the Legal Service Contract Holder to Texas Law Shield, LLP;
- A substantial breach of a duty by the Legal Service Contract Holder; or
- Cancellation of the contract by the Legal Service Contract Holder to Texas Law Shield, LLP.
- There shall be a grace period of 31 Days. The Legal Service Contract will be reinstated, with full rights and benefits, provided the contract is not terminated pursuant to subsection D(ii) or D(iii) above and provided the Legal Contract Holder remits to Texas Law Shield, LLP within a 31 day period all fees necessary to pay the Legal Service Contract to a current status, and provided no use of a firearm or other weapon has occurred during such 31 day period.
- DUTIES OF LEGAL SERVICE CONTRACT HOLDER
- Legal Service Contract Holder has a duty to promptly notify Texas Law Shield, LLP if a use of a firearm or other weapon occurs by the Legal Services Contract Holder.
- The Legal Service Contract Holder agrees to fully cooperate with any Independent Contracting Attorney in a defense at any legal proceeding, attend any and all court dates, court hearings, and other official appearances in connection with the charges in this matter.
- It is agreed that the Legal Service Contract Holder will keep all appointments with Texas Law Shield, LLP and, if an unexpected event occurs that prevents keeping an appointment, the Legal Service Contract Holder agrees to immediately notify Texas Law Shield, LLP if an appointment cannot be kept.
- The Legal Service Contract Holder agrees to promptly inform Texas Law Shield, LLP of all changes in his or her address or telephone number.
- Request for legal services shall be initiated by calling Texas Law Shield, LLP’s emergency hotline or phoning the office at 1 (877) 474-7184, or through email at email@example.com
- GENERAL PROVISIONS
- Items Not Covered Under This Contract. It is expressly understood that any expenses associated with investigators, expert witnesses, witnesses attendance, or other persons necessary to assist in the defense of the case, bail bonds, or other court fees shall be solely the responsibility of the Legal Services Contract Holder and paid directly by the Legal Service Contract Holder. This Legal Service Contract shall not cover expenses related to securing the testimony or evidence of any witness or expert witness, including but not limited to witness fees, witness travel expenses, and/or lodging, except as provided in the additional optional coverage under section IV.F.
- No change in the contract is valid until the change has been approved by an executive officer of Texas Law Shield, LLP and unless such change is endorsed or attached to the contract. There is no modification of the Legal Service Contract rates while it is in effect. Contract rates may be modified upon renewal of the Legal Service Contract on the anniversary date of signup.
- Marketing/Advertising/Promotional Fees. Legal Service Contract Holder acknowledges and agrees that one or more third-parties may receive compensation in connection with the marketing, sale or advertising of this Legal Service Contract, including marketing or advertising fees, salaries, contract payments, facility lease payments, commissions and/or passive commissions as authorized by applicable statutes, laws and rules.
- Resolution of Disputes. Any and all complaints, claims, causes of action, suits, disputes or any other legal assertions between the Legal Service Contract Holder and Texas Law Shield, LLP or any of its employees, agents, officers, directors, successors or affiliates shall be and must be submitted to binding arbitration in Harris County, Texas, pursuant to the terms and provisions of the American Arbitration Association. Legal Service Contract Holder expressly waives the right to proceed with any legal action, other than on an individual basis in an arbitration proceeding described herein. Legal Service Contract Holder specifically waives the right to proceed with arbitration in the nature of a class action or a class wide arbitration, and expressly waives the right to proceed in any court on a class basis or class action basis.
- Independence of Contracting Attorneys. Texas Law Shield, LLP is not a law firm and any legal services are provided by independent third-party contracting attorneys. If Legal Service Contract Holder seeks coverage under this agreement for a covered event under this contract, then Legal Service Contract Holder will have an attorney-client relationship solely with the Contracting Attorney and there shall be no interference with that attorney-client relationship by Texas Law Shield, LLP. Nothing in this contract is intended to impair the ability of Legal Service Contract Holder from addressing the conduct of a Contracting Attorney with the State Bar of Texas. All complaints about the legal services provided, professional misconduct, or claims that services were not provided, as the case may be, by a Contracting Attorney, are required by this contract to be addressed solely with the Contracting Attorney. Legal Service Contract Holder acknowledges that, separate and apart from the independent third-party contracting attorneys provided for under this contract, some owners or employees of Texas Law Shield, LLP may be licensed attorneys. Those attorneys who are also employees or owners of Texas Law Shield, LLP are NOT Contracting Attorneys under this agreement, will not be providing legal services to Legal Service Contract Holder, and will not have an attorney-client relationship with Legal Service Contract Holder at any time.
- Legal Service Contract Holder may at all times retain counsel other than the Independent Contract Attorney provided under this contract, however, Legal Service Contract Holder shall be responsible for all attorneys’ fees, cost and expenses of this different counsel and shall receive no reimbursement under this contract.
- Subrogation rights — There are no subrogation rights under this Legal Services Contract.
- It is expressly agreed and understood that NO PROMISES OR GUARANTEES as to the outcome of any case (past, current or future) have been made to Legal Service Contract Holder by Texas Law Shield, LLP or Independent Contracting Attorney. It is further expressly agreed and understood that no other representations have been made to Legal Service Contract Holder, except for those set out in this contract.
Texas Law Shield, LLP is a registered legal service contract company in the State of Texas. This Legal Service Contract is not an insurance contract. Legal service contract companies and their sales representatives are regulated by the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation (TDLR). You may contact TDLR at P.O. Box 12157, Austin, Texas 78711, telephone (512) 463-6599, toll free 1 (800) 803-9202, firstname.lastname@example.org
Texas Hunting and Sporting Activity Program Option
Texas Law Shield, LLP, offers for separate consideration a Hunting and Sporting Activity program (the “Hunting Program”) as an optional legal service plan that may be added to the Texas Law Shield Firearms Legal Defense Program. The legal services described herein are only available to a Texas Law Shield Legal Service Contract Holder who elects to add this optional service for separate and additional consideration to their Texas Law Shield Firearms Legal Defense Program. In addition to the benefits provided in the Texas Law Shield Firearms Legal Defense Program, the Legal Service Contract Holder who selects and pays separate and additional consideration for the Hunting Program shall receive the Hunting Program Legal Representation Benefits outlined below.
Hunting Program Legal Representation Benefits: If the Legal Service Contract Holder tenders separate consideration for the Hunting Program, a Legal Service Contract Holder in good standing shall be entitled to coverage for the legal services of an independent program attorney selected and provided by Texas Law Shield, LLP, at no charge. Such benefits are limited to:
1) defense of any criminal charges (by an independent program attorney) alleging a violation of the Texas Parks and Wildlife Code as it pertains to Hunting Activity or fishing, against the Legal Service Contract Holder;
2) defense of any criminal charges (by an independent program attorney) alleging a violation of Title 16 of the United States Code or Title 50 of the Code of Federal Regulations as they pertain to Hunting Activity or fishing, against the Legal Service Contract Holder;
3) defense of any civil claims (by an independent program attorney) brought against the Legal Service Contract Holder that arises as a direct result of his or her Hunting Activity or fishing in Texas;
All such legal representations shall be subject to the limitations and exclusions set forth below.
“Hunting Activity” – Hunting Activity shall mean, in addition to actual hunting, an event or occurrence within the State of Texas involving: 1) the use of a lawful firearm for skeet, clay and trap shooting, target practice, and competitive shooting events in locations where such activity is lawful; and 2) the use of bow and arrow, crossbow, or spear for hunting, target practice, or competitive archery events in locations where such activity is lawful.
Limitations and Exclusions: Texas Law Shield, LLP or Texas Law Shield, LLP’s independent program attorneys shall have no obligation under the provisions of the Hunting Activity Program to provide legal representation or legal defense if:
1) at the time of the occurrence giving rise to a claim the Legal Service Contract Holder is engaged in a criminal act other than an offense alleging a violation of the Texas Parks and Wildlife Code or Title 16 of the United States Code or Title 50 of the Code of Federal Regulations, as they relate to Hunting Activity or fishing;
2) was not within the borders of the State of Texas or its territorial waters; or
3) charges involving the operation of a motor vehicle.
General Limitations, Exclusions and Duties of Legal Service Contract Holder: the provisions of the Hunting Program are subject to the same limitations, exclusions and duties provided for in the Texas Law Shield, LLP, Legal Service Contract. The provisions of this Hunting Program shall only apply and be effective for incidents that occur within the State of Texas or its territorial waters.
This program is intended to provide the Legal Service Contract Holder with the reasonable legal services of an independent program attorney. Nothing in this Hunting Program shall be construed or deemed to provide Legal Service Contract Holder with indemnification for or payment of any claims or damages for personal injury or property damage, or any other damages or penalties that may be asserted against the Legal Service Contract Holder, nor for any fines, levies, fees, damages, loss of property or other costs that may be assessed against Legal Service Contract Holder. This is coverage for legal fees only.